Getting started with Astro
How To Code
Getting started with Astro teaches you everything you need to know about how to build sites and apps with Astro.
Who am I
Hi, my name is Robert Guss, and I have been working as a full-time senior software engineer for over 8+ years. I have taught over 44,000 students on Udemy and countless others via my site HowtoCode.io. I am also the creator of the theme Creek, one of Astro's most popular blog themes.
The book comes in multiple formats: pdf, epub, mobi, HTML & Notion.
You can view a sample chapter here.
What you will learn
- What makes Astro different from other frameworks
- Astro’s Island Architecture
- Astro components, pages, and layouts
- Static routes & dynamic routes
- How to work with remote data from both REST APIs and GraphQL APIs
- How to work with both markdown and MDX files
What will you build
- This book has two projects.
- In the first project, we will build a blog together as this is the best way, in my opinion, to learn all of Astro’s features.
- We will first create our blog using markdown files
- Then we will convert our markdown files to MDX
- Then we will Install and setup Strapi CMS to use as our headless CMS
- We will then learn how to fetch our blog posts from Strapi and render them in our Astro pages and components from a REST API
- We will also learn how to generate dynamic routes from the Strapi REST API
- Then we will learn how to use Strapi as a GraphQL API and render our posts in Astro using GraphQL
- In the 2nd project, you will learn how to download a pre-built Astro theme and modify it to render your blog posts from Strapi CMS (REST API and GraphQL API).
Table of Contents
- Astro Islands & what makes Astro different
- Development setup & tools
- How to install Astro and create your first site
- Astro components
- Layouts & pages
- Static routes
- Dynamic routes
- Fetching remote data from APIs
- Markdown & MDX
- How to integrate UI frameworks, themes & tools
- Content collections
- Creating our markdown blog
- Updating our blog posts to use MDX
- Installing & setting up Strapi CMS
- Rendering the blog posts from Strapi
- Creating dynamic routes for each post
- Using GraphQL in Strapi & Astro
GitHub repo & code included
All the code used in the book is included.
This book is regularly updated as the Astro team makes improvements and adds new features to the framework.
You'll get lifetime access to the book (including updates) in the following formats: